These Zucchini Bread Bars have me glad it’s zucchini season!
We all need a go-to recipe that uses up all that zucchini we’re elbow deep in this time of year. This recipe not only has a permanent place in my “summer recipe” arsenal, but its a feel-good recipe, too! Gluten-free, considered paleo, and oh so delicious!
I immediately thought of my Grandma B. when I made these. I think its something she’ll bake up in no time because of an ingredient I know she LOVES:
I used black walnuts in this recipe because I have an entire jar of them in my fridge. My grandparents would collect whole walnuts in 5 gallon buckets, pour them out in the driveway, run them over, and over until they cracked open and emerged from their shells. It was a dirty job; the husks would actually stain your hands. Ah, memories. 😉
So what’s the difference between black and english walnuts?
Although they share the same macros, black walnuts are slightly lower in omega 3’s compared to english walnuts, but are higher in selenium. They’re more pungent and earthy– that’s what I like about them. But, they’re not for everyone. I think my grandma, aunt, and I are the only ones who can tolerate these nuts … my mom, not so much. Of course, use which ever nut or even chocolate chips instead in this recipe if that’s more your style.
Have you ever had black walnuts?
Zucchini Bread Bars
Author: My Skinny Sweet Tooth
Yields: 9 servings
Serving Size: 1 piece
Smart Points per Serving: 4sp
Macros per Serving: 143 calories
11g Fat, 8g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 5g Protein
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup almond butter
• 2 tbsp honey
• 1 medium zucchini, grated (1/2 cup, excess water removed, packed)
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/8 tsp sea salt
• 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
• 1.5oz walnuts*
• Preheat oven to 350°F, spray an 8×8 baking dish with non stick spray or line with parchment. Set aside.
• After grating zucchini, squeeze out excess water using a paper towel or cheese cloth.
• In a medium sized bowl, whisk egg.
• Add all the other ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
• Pour the batter into prepared baking dish
• Bake for 18-20 minutes.
• Allow to cool before cutting.
• Store in an air tight container.