How about having muffins for breakfast and still reaching your goals? It can be done!
I’ve partnered up with Al Fresco to bring you a muffin that is perfect for on-the-go or a great accompaniment to brunch. It clocks in under 100 calories per muffin and enjoying 2 is only 5sp!
I love their Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage. It’s fully cooked and can be used in several recipes or as is! I’ve used them in other ways, but this one is my favorite. The sausage adds a savory-ness to this sweet muffin and provides a delicious, complete breakfast.
Apple Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Author: My Skinny Sweet Tooth
Yields: 8 muffins (4 servings)
Serving Size: 2 muffins
Smart Points per Serving: 5sp
Macros per Serving: 196 calories
3g Fat, 32g Carbs, 10g Protein
• 1 cup flour
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 tsp baking soda
• 1 small apple (3oz), grated (I used a honey crisp)
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup 0% greek yogurt
• 1/8 cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 1 Al Fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage link
• Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a regular size muffin tin with non-stick spray. Set aside.
• Remove casing from sausage link and dice it into small pieces.
• In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
• In another bowl, mix together the grated apple, egg, greek yogurt, apple sauce, and diced apple chicken sausage.
• Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until everything comes together (batter will be thick and sticky).
• Spoon the batter into 8 muffin cup holes (I used a large cookie scoop).
• Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden and center is done.
• Allow to cool in the muffin pan for several minutes, then transferring to a cooling rack.
• Keep muffins in an air tight container in the fridge. Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Thank you Al Fresco for sponsoring this post! Being able to work with brands that I love and support my healthier lifestyle means so much!