These aren’t just your ordinary doughnuts, they’re PROTEIN doughnuts! Add your favorite peanut butter protein powder and start your day off the right way … by having doughnuts for breakfast. Is there even a better way?
Growing up, I remember staring into the doughnut case at a local doughnut shop (which has been closed for as long as I can remember). But I would always get the same one. Every single time. A chocolate long john with crushed peanuts. What can I say, I’ve always been a fan of the peanut butter/chocolate combo, even for breakfast.
It’s been a minute since I’ve made doughnuts. I usually prefer pancakes or waffles because I feel doughnuts should have a glaze or icing, and quite frankly, that sweet coating can quickly add up in Smart Points. However, since I recently made my Chocolate Fudge Sauce, I KNEW this would be perfect on those doughnuts I so desperately wanted.
And I was right. Chocolate-y, peanut butter-y, full of protein, and I can have 4 of them in one sitting and not bat an eye. Have you made the Chocolate Fudge Sauce yet? If not, you should because I have a few recipes lined up that incorporate this luscious spread. But first, we eat doughnuts.
Peanut Butter Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze
Author: My Skinny Sweet Tooth
Yields: 4 doughnuts with glaze per serving
Smart Points per Serving: 5sp
Macros per Serving: 265 calories
3g Fat, 24g Carbs, 36g Protein, 2g Sugar
• 28g Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Flapjack & Waffle Mix
• 1 packet (30g) Peanut Butter Protein Powder (I used Quest Nutrition)
• 3 tbsp liquid egg whites
• 6 (or so) tbsp water, for batter consistency
• 1-2 tbsp (20-30g) Chocolate Fudge Sauce
–sprinkles and/or peanuts optional.
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• Prepare doughnut batter by mixing pancake mix, protein powder, liquid egg whites and water (a few tbsps at a time) until a batter consistency is formed.
• Pour batter into a nonstick (or sprayed) doughnut pan. Making 4 doughnuts.
• Bake for 8 minutes and allow to cool briefly. Transfer to a cooling rack, or plate.
• Meanwhile, warm up the Chocolate Fudge Sauce (:10 seconds in the microwave should do it).
• Spoon CFS over the doughnuts.
• Add toppings if you prefer.
-Protein doughnut recipe credit: @mudhustler_official