I always crave Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddy’s) this time of year. This time, I’ve made my own and added protein for extra oomph!
Yes, my Chocolate Fudge Sauce makes an appearance in yet another recipe. I can’t help it! It slashes Smart Points as well as calories when it comes to chocolate consumption. Plus, it’s legit. (Pssst … it’s also compliant with Simply Filling!) This sauce replaces the chocolate chip/bark coating traditionally used in Puppy Chow and I’ve replaced the powdered sugar with protein powder.
This recipe makes a single serving. So good when you have a hankering for Puppy Chow but can’t control yourself with an open bag (been there, definitley done that)! I also love how it’s a single serving recipe because I can switch up the flavors of protein powder to make different Puppy Chows!
I’d also like to mention, with this “recipe” you get more bang for your smart points buck! For instance, 1 cup of the cookies and cream protein puppy chow is only 145 calories and 4 smart points compared to 1 cup of Cookies and Cream Muddies Buddies for 300 calories and 14 smart points.
So far, I’ve made cookies and cream (with cookies and cream protein powder), chocolate strawberry (strawberry protein powder), and chocolate peanut butter (peanut butter protein powder, of course!) Use your favorite brand of protein powder. For the ones I’ve made, I used Quest Protein Powder packets and Protein Milkshake (Use code KRAY15 to get 15% off your order). Each batch only requires a little of each packet so 1 will last you several times.
Who knew Puppy Chow could be a post workout snack? What flavors will you make? Let me know in the comments!
Protein Puppy Chow
Author: My Skinny Sweet Tooth
Yields: 1 Serving
Smart Points Per Serving: 4sp
Macros per Serving: ≈145 calories
1g Fat, 29g Carbs, 6g Protein, 2g Sugar
• 1 cup (27g) Rice Chex cereal
• 1 tbsp (15-20g) Chocolate Fudge Sauce
• 1 tsp (4g) flavored protein powder
• In a small bowl, add the chex cereal.
• Warm up the Chocolate Fudge Sauce for :10 seconds in the microwave and pour over the chex cereal.
• Stir together gently so all pieces are evenly coated (as best as you can).
• Sprinkle on the protein powder and toss again to coat.
• Eat immediately or let it cool in the fridge to set … whichever you prefer. I like it cold!