Thanks to a new ingredient I found: Banana Flour, it’s opened a whole new world of baking!
So what is it exactly?
Banana Flour is made by simply gathering unripe green bananas before the sugar content has fully developed, followed by peeling, slicing, drying, then finally grinding it into flour. I was so impressed by how well it worked in this recipe that I’m headed back to T J Maxx (where I found this bag) to stock up on what is left. I’ve also seen it at some health food stores like Whole Foods and even Amazon.com (although it’s rather $$). This bag was only $3.99 so you can bet I’ll snag up any I can find.
This recipe is also oil, butter, refined-sugar, and gluten free! So what on earth does it taste like?? It’s moist and has a subtle cinnamon and banana flavor (even with all that banana!) It has juuuuust the right amount of sweetness that’s enhanced by the chocolate swirl topping. I may even serve it with more chocolate fudge sauce. With each slice clocking in at 3 Smart Point and 70 calories, I can top it with ice cream or whatever I want! It’s such a guilt free treat! I can’t wait to implement the banana flour into future recipes. And of course, you’ll be the first to know :).
Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Banana Bread
Author: My Skinny Sweet Tooth
Yields: 1 loaf (16 slices)
Serving Size: 1 slice
Smart Points per Serving: 3sp
Macros per Serving: 70 calories
1g Fat, 15g Carbs, 1g Protein, 8g Sugar
• 1 ¾ Cup (196g) Banana Flour
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup (120g) canned pumpkin
• 1/3 cup (100g) sugar free maple syrup (I use Joseph’s)
• 1/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla cashew milk)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 cup (225g, ≈3 medium) mashed banana.
• 1 tbsp (15g) Chocolate Fudge Sauce, warmed.
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: Banana flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
• In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: eggs, pumpkin, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla.
• After the wet ingredients are mixed well, incorporate the mashed banana. Mix well.
• Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix.
• Fold in the remaining dry ingredients. Try not to over mix.
• Pour batter into a parchment-lined or non stick sprayed loaf pan.
• Drizzle the warmed (microwaved for :10 seconds) Chocolate Fudge Sauce on top in a stripe pattern.
• Using a toothpick or knife, make a swirl design by dragging the toothpick back and forth through the stripes.
• Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• Allow to cool.
• Store in an air tight container at room temp for a day or longer in the fridge.