Skinny Mini “Fried” Ice Cream … No Mexican restaurant required.
One of the best things to order at a Mexican restaurant is their fried ice cream. That crunchy cinnamon sugar coating hiding the vanilla icecream inside, then topped with whipped cream, more cinnamon, chocolate and of course a cherry on top. Ah, the perfect end to a spicy meal.
But to be honest, it’s been years since I’ve ordered that dessert. It may have even been on one of my teenage birthday years where you get one for free; as long as you wear a sombrero while they sing Feliz Cumpleanos. Sounds like a fair trade to me!
Last week I was craving one so bad! I didn’t want to put myself through a point filled Mexican fare just to split a dessert with my husband. I knew I could make my own anyway and that’s just what I did. I took my favorite point friendly ice cream, scooped it into 1/2 cup balls, rolled them in cinnamon sugar crumbs (I use pita chips as they hold up nicely!) and viola! They’re just sitting in the freezer until the next time I want to celebrate something … like it being a day of the week that ends in “day”. Muy Bueno!
Skinny Mini (Fried) Ice Cream
• Measure out 4, 1/2 cup servings of ice cream and mold them into balls.
• Place them in the freezer to set for 5 minutes.
• While the ice cream hardens, add cinnamon sugar pita chips to a bag and crush them into a course crumb. Pour crumbs into a bowl.
• Take each ice cream ball and roll it into the crumbs, using your hands to press them into the ice cream. (This part can be messy, but oh so tasty!)
• Place ice cream back into the freezer to harden.
• Store in an air tight container in the freezer.
• When ready to enjoy, top with your favorite toppings: Chocolate, whipped cream, sprinkles, etc (additional smart points may vary)