Instant Pot Artichokes
One of my newest kitchen appliances that I am IN LOVE with is my Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker). I scored a great deal on one of these during a Black Friday deal on Amazon. Granted, I purchase mine for only $69! (Amazon has deals all the time, so check back often). Not only does it prepare food without much effort, it has a slew of other benefits worth noticing.
I never knew I wanted this sort of gadget in my kitchen, especially after hearing horror stories my Grandma would tell me about the old age pressure cookers that could blow up your kitchen at any given moment. Stories like tomato sauce covering a newly tiled white ceiling and leaving her with burns. That’s scary! Luckily she was ok and times and technology have changed. After reading reviews and seeing post after post on Instagram, I knew I couldn’t pass this sort of deal up.
One of the first things I made in the IP was hard/soft boiled eggs … and I’ll never make them any other way again. That will be a new blog post soon.
Today I wanted to share a method of cooking artichokes that is so fool proof and delicious that even my husband could make them … blindfolded. Well, maybe not blind folded, but you get the idea.
Normally, artichokes are a pain to cook due to its tough leaves, pointy ends and the never ending process of steaming them. With the electric pressure cooker all that is needed is a little trimming, seasoning and the press of a few buttons. 15 minutes later, you have gorgeous artichokes that are begging to be dipped in some garlic dressing (or lemon butter …) 🙂
Instant Pot Artichokes
2 artichokes, whole
2 small lemons
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
1 cup of water
• Using kitchen scissors, cut the spiny tips off each leaf. Then using a knife, cut about 1/2″-1″ off the top.
• Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon into the leaves of both artichokes. Add crushed garlic in between the leaves as well.
• Place 1 cup of water in the inner pot, then add the trivet or steamer basket.
• Slice up the other lemon and place it inside.
• Add the artichokes on top of the trivet.
• Close the lid and press “Manual” “+/- 15 minutes” on High Pressure.
• When it’s done, do a quick release.
• When the pressure valve has dropped, remove the artichokes.
• Season with more lemon juice, salt & pepper if desired.*
*I LOVE dipping the leaves into this creamy roasted garlic dressing! Only 1 smart point for 2 tbsp.